Wednesday, October 26, 2011

As I Understand It

When I was young, I was always this inquisitive. When my parents would bring me somewhere and they'll meet someone, my mind would always wonder how do the conversations start? First thing I ever noticed was, it all started with "How are you?" then the never ending throwing of question and answer. It came to me, at a young age that conversation starts with a question. And I was contented.
I came from a province, with lesser recreation options especially we were not that well off to enjoy luxury of travelling to experience how the city life works.  I started reading when I was already Grade 5 and that was Valentine's romances a tagalog version of Harlequin Mills and Boons. Then came Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and all books of my age I just borrowed from friends. Since, we used our local dialect which is Akeanon and I was not exposed to English speaking series played on television, my exposure to English Language was just limited. When I started reading those foreign books, all the words I hardly understood were highlighted or written down to my spare notebook, then, I visited Merriam Webster to check the meaning or synonymous words for my better understanding.
Then I started story telling during summer. My friend Maricel was very patient and enthusiastic to hear my stories. We sat at the protruded part of a man hole drainage and stayed there from 5 in the afternoon until 7 in the evening before dinner. It lasted the whole of summer of 1991. We met every afternoon. Different topics. We just missed our meeting when it rains. She was even amazed where were the ideas coming from and I did not have a single answer to it.
Summer ended and she has to leave. I was left with no one. My sister, 2 year older than me will not hear me out, not even interested. She had her new set of high school friends. My younger siblings were busy playing marbles and chasing ants.
Then I started writing. I started with tagalog novels, written on my unused pages of notebooks. That lasted until I graduated from High school. I have made a dozen of them, maybe more. My sister has read one or more, I'm not sure. It was not that big deal.
When I was in college, some of my new friends were interested to read my stories and so I brought tattered notebooks to our dormitory. Written in different genre. Love stories, mystery and crime. But again, I thought, it's no big deal. It was but a plain story telling.
My friends in college were very good at writing. I felt so small compared to them especially I always mixed up my subject verb agreement and so my interest in writing was buried deep down.
Insecurities developed. I tried scribbling words but remained meaningless compared to my friends' with highfalutin choice of words I myself have difficulty to fathom.
Then I started reading Sheldon, Lindsey, McNaught, Johanssen, Deveraux, Garwood and other famous best selling books available.
I understand, insecurities were developed from home. The exposure, support and encouragement are factors to build one's self confidence.
Probably, one factor why we were not exposed in any literary works, sports and other activities when we were young, was because we don't have resources. Every penny goes to food and primary needs of the family. I didn't even enjoy camping, slumber party, prom etc. My parents were not into those kinds of interests.
My understanding of life now is based on the reality and my experience. I don't have to read books in order for me to nod my head to agree.
I'm 32 now and I believe, I'm heading to the path of maturity.
I have aplenty of quotes I made up myself which in turn were all written by both famous and anonymous men.
As I understand it you can not just claim anything unless you know what you are saying, felt it first hand and as you understand it...

No comments:

Post a Comment