Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bookworm

2010--The time I read the Twilight series four to five times and watched the movie the Nth time. Read plenty of Ebooks  from my iPod, Patterson, Coelho, The Short Second Life od Bree Tanner and The Host both by Stephenie Meyer (the brain of Twilight novels), Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks and other bestsellers. All if not finished were left bookmarked. Even tried audio books of Julie Garwood and McNaught.

Through browsing the net, I came across the Twilight 1st book on Edward Cullen's perspective. Very interesting though because he really over analyze things. It also discussed where he stayed during his absence after he first encountered Bella at their Biology class. Well then, everything was discussed and I am no spoiler so try googling it instead.

I had my 2nd miscarriage during this year [2010] and since I have to stay home and was authorized to take a leave from work. I tried escaping depression and sought refuge to movies and books where I could temporarily escape reality.

I started reading when I was 10 years old and was so giddy over Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Sweet Dreams and was thrilled with Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. Those books were just borrowed from classmates and friends or from the public library. I researched on ESP and other Psychology books. I wrote poems, essays and novels yet I didn't pursue literature. What I am saying here is, I really love reading though writing is my sweetheart.

I still remember going back to work after my maternity leave (that only lasted for 2 weeks) and I dropped by National Bookstore to see new books. Though I have a long list of bookmarked ebooks and paperbacks I still went through the rack of the new arrivals. I saw this black covered book with a golden bird illustration on the cover. The author's name is Suzanne Collins and the book title is The Hunger Games. First thing I looked for when I grabbed the book was to check the back cover. Imagine, Twilight series was still fresh in my memory and was gaga over the characters and seeing Stephenie Meyer being quoted, recommending the book, despite my hesitation, I grabbed the copy and paid. It took me another 3 days before I started reading the novel. In between, I goggled Suzanne Collins name and was even linked to some forum discussing her literary works. I was even introduced to her 1st series which is The Underland Chronicles composed of 5 books (got my copy just last year).

You might be familiar with Nickelodeon's Clifford the Big Red Dog, she is one of the head writers. Anyways, I read The Hunger Games. Hooked. I loved Katniss and Prim the first time they were introduced in the 1st chapter. I paused just to post status on my facebook wall about loving Katniss Everdeen. I fell for Peeta Mellark's charm and cried over Rue's demise. When the tributes ( kids who are chosen as delegates for The 74th Hunger Games) were already in the arena, soon the thrill and excitement began. Full packed action and it seems rolling motion pictures in my imagination. I put faces to all the descriptions and personalities discussed in the novel. I became so absorbed and when I finished the 1st book I run to the nearest bookstore to grab the 2nd and the 3rd books. Last 2 books were both hard bound and no paper back available and the cashier even said there was no paper back production yet. In short, no choice but to buy 2 books for the equivalent of one sack of Jasmine Rice.

Early 2011, there was some reviews and teasers about The Hunger Games the movie. I looked forward to see the characters in motion pictures but Lisbeth Salander stole the moment and dragged me to the world of deceit, ploy, net hacking and crime. The time I was also deeply rooted with my anxiety of my father's health condition. Then the never ending roll of movies. Books. Movies. Books. I even got books for my birthday (The Underland Chronicles of Suzanne Collins) and other inspirational ones. I started collecting Emily Giffin's and Mitch Albom's novels and begun my 1st fantasy/romance novel yet I got stuck somewhere though I desire to finish 1 chapter a day. You can not finish unless you have it started. I'm on my Chapter 6, page 70.

Anyway, back to the root of all these, I am so excited to see the movie of The Hunger Games. I read the three novels again and I was captured back. Dragged to arena. Cried. Laughed. Feel giddy about the complicated love triangle and now left alone waiting. I couldn't imagine I will be this fan again. I even bought a copy of The Hunger Games Tribute Guide this afternoon and will buy The Hunger Games Official Illustrated Movie Companion and The World of Hunger Games before the movie hit the big screen.

The 1st book discussed The Hunger Games which is held every year to show the citizens of Panem (North America) that no one succeeded defying the Capitol (what they called the capital). There was a time 75 years ago when District 13 revolted against the Capitol and the district was blown out from the Panem's surface. Every year, there will be 2 tributes (children from 12-18 years old) from each of the 12 districts to join The Hunger Games where they will be sent to arena. There will only be 1 winner and blood bath and killing will be the rule of the game inorder for the winner to bring home the crown. The 1st installment for The Hunger Games the movie will roll on March 21, 2012.

The 2nd book is titled Catching Fire- where there will be a 75th Hunger Games Quarter Quell and the assumption that District 13 still exists.

The 3rd book is the Mockingjay--Katniss Everdeen is the face of rebellion.

The trilogy was intricately and intelligently woven of some wild imaginations and left me drooling and dreamy. Salute to you Suzanne Collins, from The Underland Chronicles to this Trilogy, you are one brilliant mind!

20 days to go and the characters will have faces that will reenact the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment